sound cloud video
- What is my artist Name : Nichelle Colvin
- Explain what my name means : Well, I was named after Nichelle Nichols from the Original Star Trek TV Show. My father named me and he was a Trekkie. lol However my name Nichelle is of African origin. The meaning of Nichelle is “Victorious Maiden”.
- What City and State are you representing : I was born and raised in Gary, Indiana. I try to represent my home town and Northwest Indiana.
. Describe your style of singing : My singing style is story teller. I like to think that I am in touch with what’s going on in the real world and put that to song. I am a Singer-Songwriter. So the music can be any style music, as it’s the transportation to the Lyrics. I consider my music RLM (Real Life Music)
- Who inspired me to pursue my music career : In my home town of Gary, Indiana, I will say a person who helped me was Junei Lee. An awesome guitar player who has played for the temptations and help me to create some of my first recording which landed both of us Billboard awards early in my career. That gave me the fire to keep going. Artist that I listened to that inspired me was people like Anita Baker, Phyllis Hyman, The Jones Girls, and The Emotions. Also I can’t forget Julie Andrews, and I love lovelove Barbra Streisand and Rachelle Ferrell.
- What challenges did you face as a youth in pursuit of your music career; One huge Obstacle is that I had no idea on how to and what to do. Junei taught me some of the administrative part as far as copyrights and ASCAP and BMI and registering your music. But actually knowing how to break into the business, no clue and no help. I basically just had to learn as I go. As the business changed, I figured out that having your own studio was an investment that had to be made, and teaching myself how to record and mix a long grueling process. Also I knew that the music business is an investment and if I wasn’t willing to invest in myself I could just about hang it up. NO ONE is going to pay your way for you but you. The internet opened up a lot of avenues for me as far as more listeners however branding and things of that nature I am still working on. I am such a person who still wants to just dive into the craft and creativity of the business and that will NOT work. You have to be involved in all aspects or you will never make it as well. You have to socialize with you fans, you have to market and you have to do your admin. It’s a business and if you just do your craft you will lose.
- Describe your feeling when you’re recording music in the studio: WOW. That so depends on what’s going on in my life or my friends or families lives. Different moods for whatever is going on. Take the song “Touch Me Right” I wrote that one day out of total frustration from the guys I kept running into dating. Get to know a person, don’t just except all females are like and want to be treated alike. If you listen to the words you can hear that frustration. I had that same frustration in a song I recorded called “The Man“. The song was recorded when I was younger so you can hear my frustration in a younger Nichelle compared to an older Nichelle. Lol Emotional songs are powerful. I also write songs from some of my friends experiences and their point of view. RLM is for those who can relate.
- What is the message behind your music: Several Messages. However, those messages will mostly contain subject of REAL LIFE. You won’t too much hear me talking about how many cars I have and how much money I have. . .because my audience isn’t trying to hear that all the time. They want their story told and I’m here to be the Music interpreter.
- What do you fear most in the business. I’m a perfectionist, so I guess a fear would be making sure I deliver the best I can. However, I can try to perfect a song for years and never hear it the way my audience does, and with that, I would end up never releasing it. At some point you have to accept any imperfections YOU hear and just get it out there. A lot of times the things you think you should have changed the audience likes.
- Are you excited to be featured in RNH MAG: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? ECSTATIC!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY OF GETTING MY STORY OUT TO THE WORLD!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!! I am truly GRATEFUL!
11: How can people reach you on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
@NichelleColvin = Twitter
Or just google my name Nichelle Colvin I keep it simple. Mostly all my sites are with my name.